My names Pippa…
I’m a 29 year old Capricorn with mousey brown hair that I keep meaning to dye purple but never get around to doing. I’m married to my high school sweetheart Guy – we met at a party I threw when my parents were out of town and it was love at first sight – for him at least (I may not have been wearing a top at the time). We supported each other as we struggled through our Bachelor Degrees and then our Masters, we lived in different cities and different countries but eventually came through it all and got engaged in Vang Vieng, Laos and then eloped in Las Vegas a year later.
My favourite thing to do is eat. My second favourite thing to do is cook. My third favourite thing to do is ogle at Stephen Fry (while eating).
I created this blog to have a space to write honestly about travel; slow, immersive, cultural travel where the objective isn’t to see all of the sights in a city and then rush onto the next place, but to connect with a place and it’s people. To explore the hidden corners, to talk to the local people and learn their stories, to sample authentic, simple, delicious food created by hands that have made it many times before.
I created this blog a few months before Guy and I set off to explore Central America and the world for an indefinite period of time. Unfortunately six months in Guy’s mother was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer so we returned to New Zealand to be with her.
I went through a phase of wanting to quit the blog since we were back in New Zealand and no longer traveling, or ‘doing’ anthropology but I decided to keep it (and I kept the name simply because I couldn’t think of anything better). I’m going to keep sharing travel stories as well as recipes, cultural explorations and little films of my life.
Some random facts about me…
- I’m extremely unco-ordinated (I recently fell over while going for a run and broke my wrist)
- I’ve been dating Guy for nearly thirteen years before we married in April
- I go through food obsessions – currently it’s with coriander and chilli salt
- I’ve been listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks (narrated by Stephen Fry) on repeat for the last five years
- I don’t believe there is such a thing as too much chocolate
- I have two tattoos; four butterflies on the back of my neck and a phoenix on my right wrist (my best friend has a matching one)
- Apples are my favorite fruit
- I dislike capital letters and love the look of everything written in lowercase but am simultaneously annoyed my the lack of correct punctuation
You can send me an email at thetravelinganthropologist[at]gmail.com – I reply to all emails.